Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'm Outside, It's Snowing, and I'm Naked


Yes I really was.  This weekend I went to Fukushima which is a few hours north of Tokyo.  There, I attempted to ski.  However, I failed.  Miserably.  I couldn’t stop properly.  I would just keep going and not stop unless I purposely fell.  Sukasan explained to me how to do it, but I kept trying to tell her that my body really just could not get in the position to stop and hold it for the appropriate time.  I tried several times, always falling down to try to reach the bottom, but never really reached it.  I decided to quit when I thought I tore my ACL.  My knee was killing me, but I quickly dismissed such an injury when I rose unassisted.  Looking back on the way I fell, I am really lucky I did not.  That would have totally ruined my trip to Japan.
So now here’s the interesting part of the trip—the hot spring.  It’s a public bath, but so relaxing.  Yes, everyone must get naked.  But don’t worry ladies, they split it up—one bath for men and the other for women.  I had no real problem getting naked in front of a bunch of dudes.  I wrestled for 6 years, saw naked dudes all the time.  Everyone looking at me, however, did unnerve me.  I’m getting used to the stares on the train, but now in a spring where I am naked?   Whatever.  But yeah, they also had a hot spring outside.  Of course I went.  How many other times can I be naked in the snow and still be comfortable?  Not many, well at least in America.
Anyway, you know that feeling you get from coming from outside during a cold winter day into the warm house?  It’s really nice.  This feeling does not exist in Japan.  Most houses do not have central heating.  My house is one of them.  Instead, only a few rooms have a heater in them.  And one turns these heaters on only when they are present in the room.  A blanket is also a very popular option within the Suka household.  Fortunately, my room has a heater.  I do not use it that much. 
All of this is an effort to be more green and conserve energy.  One must turn on the hot water heater in order to get hot water for a shower.  All laundry is done in a small washing machine that only washed clothes cold.  Want a dryer?  Too bad, hang your clothes up outside or in the house to dry.  The toilet seat cleans your bottom for you, not only because it is more sanitary, but to save on toilet paper usage.  Then in some cases, the sink is on top of the toilet and you wash your hands with the water that is about to become toilet water.  There are only air dryers in public bathrooms, no paper towels.  I still have not figured out how to dispose of recyclables and trash.  It’s pretty confusing.  There are so many things that are recycled.  I know the lids and straws at McDonalds are recycled. 
Probably the most significant energy saver is the extensive public transportation system of Japan.  The Japanese should take great pride in this vast network that extends from Hokkaido in the north to Fukuoka in the south.  Millions of Japanese rely on this network every day to get to work or to somewhere of leisure.  I take the train every day to get to school.  I never have to worry about catching the train into Tokyo because there’s one every 5 minutes, and I live in freaking Saitama.  In New Brunswick, if I miss the train into New York City, I have to wait about 40 minutes for the next one to arrive.  Despite its frequency, the train is often really crowded in the morning.  This means that less people drive, saving tons of gas, energy, and money each year.  Additionally, the government does not have to pour in money trying to update the highway systems to adapt to changing traffic patterns.  The rail system is set and can be added and maintained, but costs, should not be as bad.   Most importantly, the network gets you close to your final destination.  Stations are all over Tokyo.  As I have already said, the Japanese should take great pride in this network.
As for me, I am doing well.  Classes are boring, but I am getting through.  I have made more friends and having a good time with the students at TUJ.  Corinne, Connie, and John, if you’re reading this, you’ll be happy to know that I got your souvenirs already.  Grandmom Evanowski, I also got your gift.  Hope you like them when I get home.  I really appreciate you reading this.  I cannot wait to share personal stories when I get back.  I miss all of you, bare through the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment